City of Sherrill Department of Public Works
210 Elmwood Place, Sherrill, NY 13461
Phone (315) 363-0370, Fax (315) 363-0031
Upcoming Garbage Pick-Up Date Change
Normal Pick-up Date New Pick-up Date
09/02 (Monday) 09/03 (Tuesday)
Transfer Station– The Transfer Station is open Wednesdays 4-7pm & Saturdays 8am-1pm. Refuse coupons must be purchased at City Hall at $5 each in order to drop things off. The number of coupons needed varies based on size of the load. Please see the fees below for more information. The Transfer Station will no longer extend privileges to anyone without coupons on the day of disposal. Please see the fees below and call City Hall, (315) 363-2440 with any questions.
EWaste- Dispose of old electronic equipment at Lojo Technology. Visit https://www.alternativesindustry.com/e-waste-recycling-electronics for more information. Best Buy and Staples accept electronics and most cell phone stores will take back your device free of charge.
Garbage Pick-Up Map- Please see this map- Garbage Pick-Up Map to see what days garbage is picked up.
Common Garbage & Recycling Mistakes
- Overweight – Garbage Can & contents shall not weigh over 40 lbs (recyclables 20 lbs). Helpful tip: place used cat litter in separate plastic bag outside of garbage container to avoid having garbage containers be overweight. Please cover garbage and recyclable cans. Rainwater & snow significantly increase the weight to unsafe handling limits for the sanitation crew.
- Wrong size containers – Containers shall have a capacity of no less than 10 gallons & no more than 32 gallons.
- Recyclables not loose, but stuffed in plastic bags. Recyclables must not be placed in bags.
- Materials that are potentially damaging to garbage truck – Construction debris & oversized/awkward materials can not be accepted.
- Plastic Bags Placed in Recycling Bin – Although some grocery bags have the recycling triangle on them, they cannot be recycled through the local recycling program. Bags can be brought to most local grocery stores for recycling/reuse. For wood pellet bags please cut off the top of the bag so that the corners are removed and shake out any leftover residue. Bags must be clean and dry.
- Food Contents Still in Recyclable Containers – i.e. – remove leftover pizza from box; rinse out food containers
- Placement- Please do not place garbage cans or recyclables in the sidewalk because this interferes with sidewalk clearing during the winter and general sidewalk use during all seasons. Please place containers at the edge of your driveway between the sidewalk and road.
For helpful tips about what is recyclable, please visit www.AmIRecyclable.com.
Battery Disposal- Under the “NYS Rechargeable Battery Law” it is illegal to toss rechargeable batteries in the trash in NYS. They contain toxic metals that can be released into the environment. Rechargeable batteries contained in electronic products must be removed prior to disposal. Batteries covered by this law include batteries for lap tops, cameras, cell phones, and rechargeable alkaline batteries. Sherrill residents may bring rechargeable batteries to City Hall for disposal. Household alkaline batteries should be placed in your trash for disposal. Previously, alkaline battery disposal posed environmental threat because of mercury content. Since mercury has been phased out of battery production, single-use alkaline battery disposal has become safer and such items should be placed with your trash. Please visit http://www.ohswa.org/ for more information.
Wood Ashes- At the end of Fairway Lane, there is an area for dropping off properly extinguished wood ashes.
Compost- is available for residents to take at the end of Fairway Lane, adjacent to the Waste Water Treatment Plant.
Click here to view more pictures from other projects.